LORAN STATION MARCUS
24 17.1 N 153 58.7 E (01 OCT 1964)
24 17 07.700 N 153 58 51.500 E (WGS-72)
24 17 08.026 N 153 58 53.786 E (WGS-84)
|Site Survey:||JAN 1962
|Construction Date||Spring 1963 - CONSTRUCTION COMMENCED
|Constructed by:||Chris Berg of Seattle, WA
On site supervisor: Jack Allen
011245 OCT 1963 - STATION COMMISSIONED
|Disestablished:||30 SEP 1993 - Disestablishment Ceremony - Station to the government of Japan
|Operated by:||1963 - 30 SEP 1993 - USCG
|Station Letter designation:||SS-3, 9970 - "W"
7930 - "M"
|Station code name:||WING III
| Station Unit OPFAC:
FPO SEATTLE 98782
|Radio Call Sign:||NRV-6 - NET
N5MV - HAM
|Station aka:||White Pearl
|On-air testing date:||25 JUL 1963 - SS-3 Normal Star Configuration
17 MAR 1964 - SS-3 MARCUS Master - Chain reconfiguration (IWO Off Air)
21 DEC 1964 - SS-3 "W" - Normal STAR Configuration (IWO On Air)
|Operational date:||21 JAN 1964
|Operations Ceased:||30 SEP 1993
|Station Operation:||SS-0; SS-3; 9970 - Single SLAVE/SECONDARY "W"
7930 - Single MASTER
|Station pair:||SS-0; SS-3; 9970 - GESASHI; HOKKAIDO; IWO; YAP
7930 - GESASHI; HOKKAIDO; YAP
9970 - GESASHI; HOKKAIDO; IWO; BARRIGADA
|Loran Rate:||SS-0; SS-3; 7930; 9970
SS-3 (W) - 21 JAN 1964 - GESASHI; HOKKAIDO; IWO; YAP
SS-3 (W) - 1964 - Chain reconfiguration IWO/YAP tower failures
|Equipment:||1963 - AN/FPN-45/46 sn: 1 & 2; 3Mw
1968 - Clarinet Pilgrim installed
1975 - AN/FPN-54 Timers sn: 88 & 89; AN/FPN-60 sn: 21 installed
30 SEP 1993 - Equipment transferred to the GOJ
Transmitter AKA: GRETCHEN & CYNTHIA
|Antenna Type:||1963 - 08 APR 1986 - 1350 ft TLM Stainless Inc. Model 1460 - 3Mw
18 JUN 1986 - 700ft - 1Mw
|Personnel Allowance:||1969 - 2 officers; 33 enlisted
1979 - 2 officers; 27 enlisted
1985 - 2 officers; 22 enlisted
|Mascot:||1967 - Skipper
1976 - Schnitzel; Lady; Willie; Chopper
1984 - Leonard
1987 - Willie Bear; Snitter - died
13 AUG 1962 - Site Survey declassified
NOV 1962 - Loran site not officially transferred from the U.S. Air Force even though recognition of the transfer has been received. The Air Navigation Facility (Radio Beacon) was an ICAO requirement. The weather facility was a requirement of both ICAO and SAC.
1963 - Transferred completed. An agreement was that the U.S. Weather Bureau would staffed the weather station.
01 NOV 1963 to AUG 1968 - the weather station was operated by U. S. Weather Bureau. The US Coast Guard operated and maintained the Loran Station and radio beacon.
MAY 1964 - Chain reconfiruation - IWO & YAP tower failure.
OCT 1966 - Typhoon KELLY struck the island. Station off-air.
26 JUN 1968 - The island administration control was return to the Government of Japan. Control of the Weather Station and Radio Beacon were transferred to Japan.
17 JAN 1969 - The Japanese commenced to built a new Weather Station. Upon completion the Japanese Self Defense Force and Meteorological Agency operated the Weather Station.
1973 - HM committed suicide.
1977 - Typhoon IVY struck the island.
1983 - Typhoon DINAH struck the island.
21 MAR 1986 - Station off air for tower replacement
08 APR 1986 - 1350' tower demolished
18 JUN 1986 - 700' tower construction completed - station on air
30 SEP 1993 - The crew of U.S. Coast Guard LORAN Station Marcus Island decommissioned their station and transferred the station to the Japanese Maritime Safety Agency (JMSA). This was the last station in the NORTHWEST PACIFIC chain to be decommissioned and turned over to the JMSA under the 1992 agreement between United States and Japan.
| Commanding Officers /
Officers in Charge
1962 - 1963 LTJG Louis C. Snell
Coast Guard Restricted Ribbon
Coast Guard Meritorious Unit Commendation
SEP 1985 - Station Information Book - pdf (This may been a recopy for 1986 as there is mentioned the 700ft tower which construction was completed in September 1986)
12 SEP 1986 - Commandant Bulletin - Un-tenna article (Replacement of tower) - pdf
1988 - Welcome to Loran Station Marcus Island (article by HM1 Scott Evans) - pdf
The shadow shows the Loran Tower is still standing
Photo from Google Earth
Photos below were contributed by Angus MacFeeley
Photos below were contributed by Robert Jackson (ENC) c./1965-66
Station patch retrieved from Fred's Place c./1992
The photo below was contributed by Scott Evans c./1980
Weekly softball games woth our Japanese friends
Contributed by Don Perillo
The below photos were contributed by Larry Brroks (CO 1966-67)
White coral triangle one mile on each each
The below photos were contributed by Don Johnson c./1965-66
Fourth station crew - 1965
The below photos were contributed by Robert Mudge c./1970
LT Fish and CWO Midgette on messdeck for the USO show
LT Fish and CS1 Tapley
CS1 inquiring about LT Fish's shoulder
Unknown and CS1 Tapley playing cribbage
The White Pearl Certificate