|Site Survey:||03 - 05 JUN 1952
05 AUG 1952
|Construction Date:||Started in 1953 with a completion in 1954
|Constructed by:||North Atlantic Constructors ($1,750,000.00 USD)
|30 JUN 1975
| Operated by:
||1954 - 30 JUN 1972: USCG
01 JUL 1972 - 30 JUN 1975: Danish contractors for station maintenance and power plant, USCG for On-Air LORAN operations
|Project code name:
| Unit Identifier:
|Mail address:||1954: APO 23, New York, NY
1967: APO 23, New York, NY 09023
|| DOPE I
|HAM Call Sign:
|Personnel Allowance:||1 Officer, 18 Enlisted
|Station events:||1952 - Established to support Operation Blue Jay
Station located on a small bay known as Quaratit, four miles south of Cape Atholl and approximately eighteen miles south of Thule Air Force Base.
1955 NOV 07: The USAF flight mission was to deliver mail to station. During return trip back to Thule the helicopter crash. No flight plan was submitted. Station had very little involvement in the rescue effort.
1955 NOV: Shortly after, the 58th Air Rescue squadron received instructions not to furnish support to this unit except actual rescue operations.
1956 JUL: Radio beacon tower installed by the Air Force.
1956 OCT: An "Open Circuit" was established with Thule Air Force Base for traffic.
1959: Weather reports submitted to Thule Air Force Base three times daily.
1959 AUG: Senior U.S. foreign service officer, CO of Thule AFB and 4 Americans and one Danish die as a result of a helicopter crash.
1963 AUG 11: Main Diesel engine failure. Crew replaced with on-site spare.
CG Engineer's Digest article
1964: A landline was established between Thule AFB and the station.
1966: A crew member had his appendix removed.
1971 JUL 17: SAEW AWOL a day after the USO show "Show Titans" performed at the station. Thule Air Base Security located him under the custody of the Catholic Chaplain. He was retained in custody of the Air Base security until the CO interviewed him.
1971 AUG 28: CO MEDEVAC - returned on the 30th.
1972: A new telephone cable was installed between Thule AFB and the station permitting a 100wpm teletype circuit.
1972 JUN 30: Danish contractors arrived at the station.
1972 JUL 01: Station Operations turned over to the Danish with the exception of CO, and LORAN on-air operations and radio net
|Commanding Officers:||1954 Construction Representative: Hal Hovorka
1954 - 1955 LT Leland C. Batdorf
1955 - 1956 LT William K. Vogeler
1956 - 1957 LTJG Robert Cluett
1957 - 1958 LTJG Anthony A. Nevins
1958 - 1959 LTJG Charles B. Glass
1959 - 1960 LTJG Donald M. Taub (? - JUL)
1960 - 1961 LTJG David J. Meskell (JUL - JUL)
1961 - 1962 LTJG Thomas R. Klein (JUL - JUL)
1962 - 1963 LTJG Kenneth C. Cutler (JUL - JUL)
1963 - 1964 LTJG William H. Wilson (JUL - AUG)
1964 - 1965 LTJG Nils Linfors (AUG – JUL)
1965 - 1966 LTJG Henry B. Traver (JUL - AUG)
1966 - 1967
1967 - 1968 LTJG David Zawadski (AUG - MAY)
1968 - 1969 LTJG David M. Labuda (MAY – MAY)
1969 - 1970 LTJG Harry F. Schmecht (MAY – MAY)
1970 - 1971 LTJG Theodore C. Scheeser (MAY - 06 JUN)
1971 - 1972 LTJG John F. McGowan (06 JUN - 02 JUN)
1972 - 1973 LTJG Pablo M. Rodriguez (02 JUN - ?)
1973 - 1974 LTJG Charles S. Allen
1974 - 1975 LTJG Thomas H. Gilmore (? - 30 JUN)
|Station Letter designation:|
|Radio Call Sign:||
|Declared Operational date:||08 NOV 1954
|Operations terminated:||302400Q JUN 1975
|Station Operation:||Single MASTER (SM)
| CAPE ATHOLL (M) - CAPE CHRISTIAN (S)
1L7, 1L0, 2S6
Approx. 350 Nautical miles
|On-air testing date:||1954
|On-Air:||1L7 – 8 NOV 1954
1L0 – NOV 1956
2S6 - 1957
|Off-Air:||1L7 – NOV 1956
1L0 – 1957
2S6 – 302400Q JUN 1975
|Monitor Rate:||Cross rate monitor
|Equipment:||1954: AN/FPN-30 Timers, T-325B Transmitters, AM-701 Amplifiers
JUL 1956: An 180 ft. Radio Beacon Tower constructed by USAF. Radio beacon, AN/URA-11 timer, TB-142 transmitter, TB-143A amplifier, CU-350 coupler
JUL 1956: 1- AN/FPN-30 timer, 1-modified AN/FPN-30 timer with 4 servo loops and 1 phase loop.
MAY 1972: Two Rubidium Frequency Standards installed allowing 2usec operations during daylight months.