|Site Survey:||SEP 1942
APR - OCT 1944 - USC&GS surveyed by first order astronomic observation
|Construction Date:||JUN - SEP 1943
|Constructed by:||Construction Detachment "A"
| Operated by:
| Station Unit Identifier:
||USCG Unit 05
| Station code name:
|Personnel Allowance:||1943 - 1 Officer, 23 Enlisted
|Miscellaneous:||15 SEP 1942 - U.S. Army established a Weather Station on St. Matthew
28 JAN 1943 - CNO directed the CG to establish a Loran chain in the BERING SEA. St. Matthew - St. Paul - Umnak
1943 - One year rotation established.
1943 - First station the decision was made that loran stations were expendable.
17 JUN 1943 - USCGC CLOVER departed Dutch Harbor with building supplies.
20-21 SEP 1943 - During the testing period, five enlisted set out from the loran station in a small surfboat for a trip along the shoreline to the Army Weather Station about 9 miles away to pickup a small gasoline engine generator. The men, the boat and all equipment disappeared without a trace, despitethe fact that the sea was calm and that they had orders to remain within 200 yards of the shore. Search parties failed to find any clue other than a 5-gallon oil can which was known to have been in the boat.
The men lost:
HAGLUND, Floyd O. (220-806) RM1c
BREIMO, Elmer O. (538-963) Cox. (R)
MACLEAN, Thomas L. (636-878) Sea.1c (R)
SCHMOLL, Kenneth H. (506-786) RM3c (R)
HAGEN, Edward C. (584-147) RM3c
FALL 1943 - The U.S. Army consolidated their quarters with the loran station 9 miles west of the station.
28 JUN 1944 - CG Unit 254 requested authorization from General Reindeer Supervisor, Nome, AL for 25 females and 5 male reindeer to be purchased and transported from Nunivak Island to St. Matthew.
30 JUN 1944 - Approval granted. The captain of the boat and CG Unit 254 was given Circular Letter No. 60 on the procedures of loading and unloading reindeer.
14 AUG 1944 - CG cutter transported the reindeer to St. Matthew and released. The herd grew to a population of over 6000 and the last female died in 1981.
13 SEP 1946 - CO and 20 enlisted men departed the station aboard the CGC UNALGA
27 - 29 MAY 1949 - CGC NORTHWIND work party ashore at the abandon LTS - loaded skiffs and dory of equipment.
|Commanding Officers:||1943 - 1944
1944 - 1945 ENS Eugene T. Barwick (? - 07 JAN)
1945 - 1945 ENS Albert J. Christman (07 JAN - 27 NOV)
1945 - 1946 LTJG Ellsworth O. Swett 27 NOV - 13 SEP)
|Station Letter designation:||"M"
|Radio Call Sign:||
|Declared Operational date:||10 JUL 1944
|Operations Ceased:||SEP 1946
|Station Operation:||Single SLAVE (SS)
| ST. MATTHEW (S) - ST. PAUL (M)
Approx. 205 nautical miles
|On-air testing date:||11 SEP 1943
18 OCT 1943 - 10 Hour Service
10 NOV 1943 - 16 Hour Service
01 JAN 1944 - 22 Hour Service
|On-Air:||10 JUL 1944 - 24 Hour service